You are here : Home / Permanent Visa / Australia / Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)


This visa lets a skilled worker travel to Australia to work in their nominated occupation for their approved sponsor for up to four years. 


You might be able to get this visa if:

  • you have been sponsored by an approved business
  • you have the required skills to fill a position nominated by an approved business.


About visa

The Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457) allows skilled workers to come to Aust​ralia and work for an approved business for up to four years.

You must be sponsored by an approved business. A business can sponsor someone for this visa if they cannot find an Australian citizen or permanent resident to do the skilled work.

You can be in or outside Australia​ when you lodge your application.

More information is available from the booklet Temporary Work (Skilled) (subclass 457) visa (649KB PDF).


What this visa lets you do

This visa allows you to:

  • work in Australia for up to four years
  • bring  members of your family unit to work or study in Australia
  • travel in and out of Australia as ​often as you want.