Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) Leading to (subclass 100)

You are here : Home / Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) Leading to (subclass 100)

Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) Leading to (subclass 100)



Global visa processing times

  • 75 per cent of applications processed in 11 months
  • 90 per cent of applications processed in 15 months
    For more information see Global visa and citizenship processing times


You might be able to get this visa if you are married to or in a de facto relationship with an:

  • Australian citizen
  • Australian permanent resident
  • eligible New Zealand citizen.

You must be outside Australia when you apply.


​The Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) allows you to live in Australia if you are the spouse or de facto partner of:

  • an Australian citizen
  • a permanent resident
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen.

The Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) is the first stage towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 100). You lodge only one application for your temporary and permanent visas and pay one application charge. Your application is processed in two stages, about two years apart.

You must be outside Australia when you apply and also when the Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) is granted. You can be in or outside Australia when Partner visa (subclass 100) is granted.


The Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 309) lets you:

  • enter Australia and stay here until a decision is made about your permanent Partner visa
  • work in Australia
  • study in Australia, but with no access to government funding
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses.

If you are later granted a permanent visa, you can:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • receive some social security payments

travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted – after that time you will need another visa to enter Australia.